I want to bring you a message about taxation today. There are a lot of tax strategies and schemes out there – “helping people save today by deferring current taxes until later.”
Considering the law of compounding…that does make sense.
If you save that dollar today and invest it in something that produces a great return, then sure, you’re better off. In some cases that works out, but it depends on what you are investing in – or if you’re actually investing at all.
The typical tax-deferral mechanisms are 401(k)s and IRAs. The money you put in these constructs grows tax-deferred (not tax-free) until you take it out after age 59 ½ – and you pay taxes on it then.
It’s sounds like a great idea, but I have a few problems with this:
- You’re tying your money up in a prison, where you can’t get to it without paying a penalty if a better opportunity comes up.
- The tax rates will likely be much higher by the time you get to 59 ½. Our country is in so much debt and is becoming more socialistic, so my heavy assumption is that tax rates will rise – and I don’t want to pay taxes on a huge growth of money at a much higher rate than today.
- When you put your money in a 401(k) or another tax-deferral scheme (or perhaps “prison” is a better word!), what is your real rate of return on that investment? Most people put their money in index funds or the stock market, gambling it away for the promise of great returns.
Most of the time, those tax-deferral mechanisms do not outrun taxation at the back end!
I know for a fact that in today’s world, I can grow my money faster and outrun current-day taxes outside of a tax-deferred environment. I’m not saying that tax-deferral is the worst thing in the world, but you’ve got to think about it before you follow the majority – because the majority isn’t always right.
To your freedom!
P.S. I’m holding a 2 day workshop on March 27-28 for dentists who want to beat the average retirement timeline. Reserve your seat now: www.freedomfounders.com/workshop, and use promo code ACTION to take $300 until Nov 1!
P.P.S. Whenever you’re ready, here are some other ways I can help fast track you to your Freedom goal (you’re closer than you think) :
1. Get Your Free Retirement Scorecard:
Benchmark your retirement and wealth-building against hundreds of other practice professionals and get personalized feedback on your biggest opportunities and leverage points. Go to www.FreedomFounders.com/Scorecard to take the 3 minute assessment and get your scorecard.
2. Attend A Workshop:
If you’re committed to Freedom, but still building a practice, paying down school debt, or growing investment capital, our hands-on Freedom Blueprint Workshops are your entrance ramp onto the fast track! Visit www.freedomfounders.com/workshop to claim your seat!
3. Apply To Visit The Mastermind:
If you’d like to join dozens of dentists, docs, and practice professionals on the fast track to Freedom (5-7 years max), visit www.freedomfounders.com/step-1 to apply for a seat.
4. Want to Work Directly with Me?
If you’d like to work directly with me and a small group of my closest investment colleagues, with direct access to the dealmakers and asset classes that I invest in, just send a message to my Executive Assistant (Lindsey@FreedomFounders.com), and put “Fast Access” in the subject line. Or, call (972) 203-6960 Ext 144 and leave a brief voicemail for Lindsey. Let her know you’re interested in the Fast Access program – we’ll set up a time with you to talk, find out about your goals, and see if there is a fit.